Saturday, August 14, 2010

I Hate YOG

The recent Youth Olympic Games (YOG or "why orgy" as chillycraps puts it) is making me sick. Everywhere I go, everywhere I turn to, I am flush with YOG news, banners and images. The way the government is going out its way to make it a success is a little too much. All the things they do to accommodate the athletes at the expense of inconvenience to the Singaporeans are pissing us off. And they still question the lack of support for YOG. All the things the MIW did to please the foreigners only will make us hate YOG more and boycott it. In fact, there is a "I Hate YOG" Facebook group, that is growing. Goes to show how much we hated it.

When they exceed the initial budget of $105 million for the YOG, did anyone in government raise any issues? No! They just continue to spend and spend until it hits $387 million, then tell us that they are "a bit naive with our initial estimates" WTF!

I feel that we are just being made used by the IOC to find out if a Youth Olympic is feasible. The truth is as long as the Singapore government tries to organize any big events at the expense of its people, it can never be as successful as it can be without the support of its people. No matter how they want to put it, the YOG is considered a failure before it has even begin. Everyone in the world knows it, just that no one in the government wants to admit it.

Updated: By the way, someone found this news article. According to PM Lee in 2007, he has stated that our nation "may not be ready in 2010 because we're just building the Sports Hub. There will be time and opportunities later." In other words, he feel that Singapore is not ready to host such the YOG. Why the turn around along the way and end up with this mess?

No comments: